Saturday, November 24, 2007

Knitting Holiday

Cherry pieWe had a nice Thanksgiving at our place, it was imperfect but absolutely delightful, just like the cherry pie. I hope my U.S. readers all had a pleasant holiday as well. One of the unexpected pleasures was the chance to knit while others napped.

As for the Canadians, well, we all know you had a fine time last month. "Firstest with the mostest" as my grandmother would say. Don't rub it in.

The downside is that the Christmas season is officially open and the materialistic feeding frenzy has really begun. Let's all try to resist that impulse to buy, buy, buy! that the manufacturers have paid so much to have hammered into our brains through the medium of television, hm?

3 sets of baby hats and socksLately I've been spending my time making baby hats and socks to donate to afghans for Afghans. Yes, I have done this before, and I'm doing it again. I'm knitting as many as I can before the deadline, which is December 3rd. There's a Knit-And-Crochet-Along too.

I'm using my Infant Earflap Hat pattern without the earflaps. This makes a simple toque with a fold-up cuff that allows for growth room. When my babies outgrew their hats, it was never a case of the hat being too tight, the hat would be too short and no longer cover their ears. Giving a little extra height to the hat is a good idea.

Green baby hat and socksI had very small amounts of leftover Noro Kureyon in my stash that I used to good effect in some of these hats. I really like the way they turned out, these are my favorites so far. I will tell you how I made them in my next post.

Won't you join us and make a set this weekend? Whether you make them for charity, your favorite little one, or for a future baby shower, these are very fun to make. You can come up with an excuse to make some, can't you?

No comments: