Monday, November 05, 2007

Mom's Sock Blowout

Sock heel, removed from sock, with holesrepaired sock heelThe sock was whole and in good condition when she put it on this morning, but somewhere between breakfast and the Carol Duvall Show the heel blew up.

Fortunately it doesn't take long to reknit a heel. Cut out the old one, insert needles into the live stitches, knit the heel flap and turn the heel, weave the seam and you're done.

Apparently I didn't use reinforcement yarn when I made that pair of socks. Regia sock yarn doesn't come with any. I made sure to include some reinforcement when I reknit the heel.

purple ribbed sockThis is the first of a purple pair of socks I'm making for myself using the Basic Ribbed Socks pattern from Vogue Knitting On The Go: Socks Two. I made the child's size for my youngest and they turned out so well that I decided to make a pair for myself.

The yarn I'm using is Socka and it doesn't come with reinforcement yarn. After what happened to Mom's Regia sock after such a short time, I think I'd better not omit reinforcement of some sort. It's going to be difficult to find a matching color nylon thread or yarn. I've been reading about others experiments with wooly nylon and think I'll try weaving some in from the wrong side.

2 comments:

THE KNITORIOUS MRS. B said...

O.k. so I've heard of "turkey blow out" But sock heel blow out.... a new one on me, chickie!


Ode to a blow out sock heel


there once was a knit sock from the west coast,

who's knitter had
skills,
one could boast,

that were
the best of the west,
but were
put to the test,

when one day the sock's heel turned to toast!

Ari said...

ROFL!