Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Virtuoso Gloves

houseplantsI have some new baby houseplants to play around with. For now, I'll transplant them into indoor pots and let them lounge around the house. Later in the spring they will be moved outdoors to a shady patio. We'll see how well they tolerate the summer heat; the ones that can't take it can go back in the house, the others can stay outdoors year-round in this warm climate.

I haven't had a chance to knit anything during the last week, but I did find an example of someone else's knitting to share.

toddler glovesThis is a pair of toddler sized woolen gloves knit in Guatemala. I am a knitter, so you know I've turned them inside out and inspected them thoroughly. These little darlings are fairisle gloves knit in the round and the yarn is woven in while it's knit (that means there are no loops of yarn carried along the back of the work for tiny fingers to get caught in) and there is not a loose stitch anywhere.

reverse side of toddler glovesSee what I mean? The yarn is very fine, and worked at about 7 stitches to the inch. I admire this fine workmanship. Maybe with a lot of practice I can emulate it someday. But today? I still have problems with uneven tension when working fairisle socks in the round.

Aren't these some great little gloves?

My youngest just loves them. He practices putting them on and taking them off, which he can do easily since there are no yarn loops to catch his little fingers on. He adores the colors. But most of all, he rejoices in the the knowledge that they are his and his alone and that he doesn't have to share them.

3 comments:

bethanie said...

Those are stunning!

soapy said...

Those are great little gloves!

HPNY KNITS said...

they look amazing inside as well as outside!!