Saturday, February 25, 2006

It's Juju...

but the toddler insists it isn't bad.

Bad Juju doll in progressMy youngest son showed only a passing interest in the doll while I was knitting it, which means that he only came by to check on my progress 2 or 3 times while I worked. I knit a lot and he is used to it, so it had no real novelty to capture his interest other than fitting the stitch markers onto the stitch holders and learning to open and close the holders (and the usual toddler fascination with the properties of sticks and the cutting of yarn). This is the way of things; Mom knits, he wants to play with the tools but has no real interest in the finished product unless it was specifically made for him. Until now.

Just as I was stuffing the doll through the top of its head, the toddler came along and investigated this new thing that I was doing. He played with the loose fiberfill, helped stuff some into the doll, and then watched while I closed up the top of the doll's head. His attention began to wander as I drew up the cord that defines the head and forms the neck of the doll, but once I'd tied it off and set it down on the table he zeroed in on it.

Bad Juju doll finished, maybe"It's a little boy!" he cried and grabbed up the doll, claiming it for his own. "What his name?" he asked. I told him,"It's Bad Juju." He replied, "It not Bad Juju, it Good Juju." And so it is.

He may eventually let me put a face on it, but for now he is content with the 'amish' version of the doll.

If you're interested in what the doll was originally intended to be, you can read that story at the Bad Juju Knitalong.

2 comments:

amylovie said...

Hi Ari,

This is your slacker "Gimme some needles" pal. I'm sorry it has taken me this long to contact you. You said that you would like to be surprised, but could you give me a little hint as to what colors you are fond of?

Amy

Ari said...

Sure thing, Amy.

First thing, I love color, all kinds of color, and it would be very difficult for you to choose a color that I don't like.

That being said, I am a 'winter' and generally feel most comfortable when surrounded with cool jewel tones.

My favorite colors are purples and blues.

Lately, I have been leaning more toward rich, medium-dark purples. Pansies, petunias, sweet pea vines and dutch irises are my recent garden purchases. I would purchase a royal purple sofa if my DH would let me.

I hope this helps,

Ari