Friday, November 09, 2007

Knitting For Boys

Squares for OliverFor a while now, in between socks, I've been knitting little 4-inch squares from leftover sock yarn for Oliver's benefit. Michaela has organized a little fund-raiser in the U.K., and Kay is helping out by collecting squares here in the U.S. (You can click on the names to read more about it).

My effort has been going slowly. Coming down with this head cold hasn't helped much either. I still manage to put in at least an hour of knitting in the morning and another hour in the evening. When I feel up to it, I grab odd moments of knitting when I can. I hope to contribute at least a dozen afghan squares before the end of the month.

Bug MittensI've just finished sewing the spots on this pair of Buggy Mitts for my little boy. He said he wanted lady bug mittens, but when he saw me grab a square of black felt off the shelf to make the dots he insisted he wanted bright colors instead.

You can find the pattern here. I have added a few rows of length to this pair to fit my son's long, tapered fingers.

He says he wants me to make him a pair of bumble bee mittens next!

3 comments:

THE KNITORIOUS MRS. B said...

Cute buggie mitts! BTW, I'm a firm believer in roasted garlic cloves smashed on toast to cure a head cold! You take a whole bulb, cut a smidge off the top across it, do not peel it, place it on a saucer, drizzle some olive oil over it, salt it, cover with an up side down tea cup and microwave it for 1 minute, repeating at 30 second intevals until the whole thing is tender enough for the little cloves to slip right out of their skins. YUMMMMM! You'll be better in no time! Chicken noodle soup couldn't hurt either-with some garlic added, of course!!

feel better soon!

Chris said...

Love the mittens. Thanks for the pattern source. Grandkids should love them!!

Carol said...

How nice! Very cool that he asks for knits too:) Good on you doing squares. Oliver is a great reason to knit!