Friday, June 09, 2006

BackTack 3 Softie

Here are my gifties for Jess, my swap buddy for BackTack 3. They have arrived safely at their destination, so I can now show you the details. I know you want the details!

Jesster Kitty and her entourageJesster Kitty and her entourageI checked with Jess and found that her favorite color is orange, so chose that as my accent color for this project. Anything in your favorite color is going to make you feel good, so when I make a gift for someone, I try to use their favorite color whenever possible.

So, this is my little creation, Jesster Kitty. A performer never really travels light, so she has an entourage of sorts. With some of the leftover fabrics I made a knitting needle roll to match. Some cute note cards fill in nicely. Can you believe I fit it all into one of those small Priority Mailers?



Needle roll exteriorNeedle roll interiorHere is the needle roll. The outside on the left, the inside on the right.

I used standard cotton calico prints for the cover and double-faced cotton flannel for the lining and pockets. This makes a rather thick and padded roll that provides a nice amount of cushioning to protect knitting needles. It is large enough to comfortably hold longer needles but can be folded to a smaller size for shorter needles too. I hope she finds it useful.

Do you think I should post the pattern? Let's do a poll and find out! It will be interesting to see what you think. Find the poll over in the right-hand sidebar.

3 comments:

African Kelli said...

Ari -- lovely job! I'd bet your recipient is thrilled.

Kate said...

Love your softie! And love the knitting needle roll. Great fabric.

FinnyKnits said...

Of course, I love this so much - and you're right the orange DID make me feel good! Jesster Kitty has been keeping a careful eye on my knitting projects from his royal perch on the craft shelf :)