Sunday, March 13, 2005

Pinkie Peachiness

I have to admit that I have things in my yarn stash that I haven't used in 15 years. I can't get rid of perfectly good yarn. I just haven't figured out what I want to do with it yet.



Here's an example. I bought a bunch of Pingouin Pingofrance from the clearance bin at my local yarn shop about 15 years ago. I bought as many colors as I could find. It was a great yarn for childrens things, 75% acrylic 25% wool and machine washable. DK weight meant that I could knit it by hand or by machine. I made fairisle sweaters out of it back then and had some left over and it has been sitting in the stash ever since.

I read Candace Key's article in Knitty on charity knitting and had admired the photos she had included of some of her projects. I had particularly liked the striped v-neck cardigan at the top of the page. When I came across this small collection of pink and peach yarns in my stash I knew I had to try them out in that textured stripe pattern. They are now well on their way to becoming a baby sweater inspired by Candace's work.



I've finished the body of the cardigan and one sleeve is half done. I'm surprised at what a quick knit this is turning out to be, even though I'm making up the pattern as I go along. It must be all those garter stitch rows. I'm experimenting with different ways of dealing with the consequences of that stripe sequence. Weaving in the ends, carrying along the edge, knitting flat and seaming vs knitting in the round, all the different choices one can make. What fun!

2 comments:

Birdsong said...

That is a great color combo... I am finding charity knitting to be a great, fast way to use some of the stash stuff that didn't work out the way I had thought in the first place. Simplifies my life too. Thanks for the info and the scrubbie project; I will have to use up some leftover cottons that way!

Christie said...

Love the stripey goodness!