Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Yellow Layette Finished

I've finished sewing up this little newborn-sized top that I made from Plymouth DreamBaby DK. I used the pattern for the Marnes pullover from Bouton d'Or Layette & Junior book #13. I didn't need to make any adjustments for gauge.

It is the last piece of the yellow layette I've been working on. I originally intended to make a layette using yellow and white DreamBaby and multicolored Hobby yarns. I started with the jacket in Hobby last June and the pants and hat in Dreambaby last October. Now that I have made more pieces I have decided not to combine the two in one layette. The yarns somehow don't look right together when they are knitted up. I will simplify things and keep to the yellow and white Dreambaby in this layette.

Here is the complete set, including a little zip bag with a spare button, a bit of yarn for repairs, and a ball band with laundering instructions.

I will include several other items when I wrap this up because I will be giving it to a close relative and I want it to be a very special gift.

Edit: This newborn-sized layette used 5 balls of yellow and one ball of white DreamBaby DK. Great yardage!

3 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

Holy wow that is quite the special gift!! What are the care instructions on the yarn? I'm looking for something thats beautiful and machine wash/dry for all the baby stuff I am making. Do you have a favorite?

Excellent work on that top -- super cute with those buttons.

Ari said...

Why, thanks!

The yarn I used, Plymouth DreamBaby DK, is 50% microfiber acrylic and 50% nylon. It is easy to care for, machine wash and dry on low heat setting. The microfiber gives it a very soft feel and it knits up very well with good body and elasticity. It is economically priced too.

I would have to say this is one of my favorite yarns for baby things.

Down here in Bakersfield it gets rather hot during the summer and I prefer to use at least 50% cotton for summer baby things, so DreamBaby would be good for winter things here.

Diane said...

That's going to be one very well dressed baby.